An internship for budding female VCs
Sydney, July 2017
Blackbird Ventures & Reinventure
What is it?
We're running a 3-week internship program for current or recent university graduates. You will split your time between Blackbird Ventures, a multi-stage technology venture capital fund and Reinventure, Westpac's corporate venture capital fund.
During the 3 week program, you will:
- Receive structured sessions on VC basics like funding stages, fund construction, term sheet negotiation and deal assessment.
- Attend pitch meetings (where companies come and present their businesses for potential investment) and partner meetings (where investments are debated and investment decisions are made)
- 1:1 sessions with members of the team to help your learning and personal growth
- Attending special events like Investor Days and Vogue Codes
What is VC?
Venture capital funds provide the financing for startups that are building the future. Venture capitalists (VCs) are the people who manage the billions of dollars invested in venture capital funds.
The biggest technology companies in the world today – Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon – were all funded by venture capital funds.
By offering internships to women at the earliest stages of their career, we hope to expose the wonderful possibilities that venture capital offers as a career choice.
Who are we?
Blackbird Ventures is a multi-stage technology venture capital fund. We exist to supercharge Australia's most ambitious founders. With $230 million under management, we have invested in around 50 companies since 2012. Blackbird also operates Startmate, Australia's leading startup accelerator for early-stage tech businesses.
Reinventure's mission is to help Australia’s best entrepreneurs to reinvent financial services. With $100 million under management, they seek to drive growth in the FinTech ecosystem and unlock maximum synergy value with Westpac, Reinventure's largest investor.
Who is this for?
- Current and recent graduate university students
- All degrees are welcome but we particularly encourage students studying STEM, Business and Law degrees
- Good academics
- Demonstrated startup experience or passion for startups
We will provide up to 2 internship positions.
If you are successful, you will spend time at both Blackbird and Reinventure.
If firms continue to remain nearly all white and nearly all male at their top levels, they will fail to be inclusive, and the VC industry, the technology industry, and technology startups will continue to exclude new ideas, potentially big opportunities, and equal access for all.
What is in it for me?
- We will pay casual award wages according to the Banking, Finance and Insurance Award 2010.
- Expenses paid trip to Melbourne to spend the day with companies at the Startmate accelerator.
- Real-world, hands-on experience in 2 of the most active venture capital funds in Australia
- Connections to the startup landscape
- Prepare a blog post reflecting on your internship and learnings across the two VC funds
Apply using the form below.
We will be selecting a shortlist of candidates to interview by 16 June 2017.
We intend to make offer/s by 30 June 2017.
The internship will run for 3 weeks in Sydney during July.